I surfed yesterday with my son Joey and seven of his teammates from football. The waves were small and mushy, but we all had a blast anyway.....kids are good at having fun. One of the Dads dropped off two pizzas, so we feasted on the beach, that was pleasant.
Up on the Promenade.....the beach walk way......I met an old gentleman running who I instantly recognized as the track coach from a rival High School back in my day. He also was a college coach at the rival JC of my school. Coach Tuck Mason was at Oxnard High when I attended TOHS and then when I went to Moorpark College, he became the head coach of Ventura College. Anyway, I said "hi coach" and he stopped and we chatted...he remember me too, which was nice and made me feel quite good. It was nice little visit and reminded me of how life seems to go in big circles. It was good to see him still running and being active....he has to be in his mid seventies or so by now and he looks great!!
We had a really good football practice today, my boys are finally getting settled into my defensive schemes and have their assignments down fairly well. I am thankful for this as our first game is this coming Saturday...so the timing is right. Let us hope they keep on improving. I keep teaching them new things and adding in little bits here and there for them to digest, it is interesting to see how they are taking it all in and how they are progressing. I think I have a very good set of defensive alignments and packages and we will be pretty hard for the opposing team to figure out. I am pretty certain of my starting line up too, but have one or two possible line ups, we'll see how things go the next two days and I'll have it solid for Saturday.
We had a "coaches meeting" at a local watering hole....a sports grill and bar where they serve good food and ICE COLD beer......rather pleasant. We hoisted a toast to one of my old HS football coaches who is on a walkabout in Spain right now....go George!!! The meeting consisted of diagraming out our line up with starters and substitutions and talking about our kids.....it was productive and pretty fun.
Today is now the first day of school for my boys and my oldest son is at his first day of High School at Camarillo High. He is also playing Freshmen football....so it should be a pretty exciting year. Our youngest has another audition for pretty huge movie...one starring Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock.....go Noah!!!
Joey is in eighth grade this year and has grown so much. His team is the one I am coaching and Joey is starting strong side linebacker and fullback.....he is doing awesome. I am excited for the boys starting school and also for my wife....she now gets a few hours free for herself each day. Mama deserves her time, she has definitely earned it. Go Marnie!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment