I have been on duty for two days straight. Yesterday we had a fire on the beach in some bushes. A fire on the beach isn't much of a problem really, it can't go anywhere, but the smoke does interupt the flow of traffic on HWY 101....so we put it out. We went on two older folks who are residents of a local popular surfing beach....first the man after he fell down. We picked him up and put him in his bed, bless his heart. Then after we had been back at the station for about fifteen minutes....."DING"...bells go off for the same residence..this time the wife had fallen. So, we did what we always do....we went and picked her up and put her into bed with her husband. The old guy asked us if we wanted to just the stay the night at their place and have a few beers. While that sounded really good, we were on duty and so must abide by the rules, but it was tempting!!!
Then, around 4AM the bells went off and we were dispatched in our water tender....a giant rolling water supply....to a brush fire up in the Piru area. It was up in the hills in the oil lease area and it was a fairly small fire as fires go, but it still required water and there is no water supply up there. We got back to the station around 11 AM and cleaned up. I tried to take a nap, but that didn't happen....call me a "wahmublance".
The today we had another beach fire that was in some bushes and putting out a decent amount of smoke and wafting across the 101 by La Conchita...so we put that one out too. Dinner was Carl's Junior Grilled Chicken Salad....tasty. I'm hitting the sheets now, but I did get to watch Boise State beat Virginia Tech in a televised football game that was a hard fought battle and really fun to watch.....go Broncos!!!
I've also been following an old High School football coach of mine in his blog..."Coaching for Pizza". It chronicles his coaching American football over in Europe and is fun to read, but right now he is on a bit of a "walk about" over in Spain and I am righteously jealous. I want an adventure too!!!!! Way to go George, one day I just might follow your footsteps on the CAMINO......awesome adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment