Sunday, September 5, 2010

Football Saturday

Saturday was a long day, and though it was a good and fun day....we went 0-2 with our boys' teams.

We started the day off by meeting in the parking lot at Rio Mesa High for a breakfast cookout with my youngest son Noah's team.  Can I say that this just plain ROCKED!!!!!!  We had chorizo and egg burritos, we had sausage, cheese and egg sandwiches, watermelon, danish, donuts, juices and coffee and it was really, really tasty.  Thanks to all the Mommies that cooked for us.....great job girls!!

First game was versus Westlake and they walked on us, though our kids played well enough, Westlake was not to be stopped.  Noah was starting Middle Linebacker and was in on many tackles.  He also played fullback and pounded out yardage up the middle, he is an animal.

Second game, Lancaster......yuck!!!!  We played the West Valley Rebels and they walked on us too.  They had a tailback that could run like a madman.  I think their kids were an "A" team, we are a "B" team....they definitely out sized us.  Oh well, at least we got the first game of the season over with and shook out the cobwebs.  It was not a league game either, so the loss doesn't count against us.  We definitely have some room to improve, but the adjustments are easy enough to make and with some extra coaching on pass coverages...we should be much better.  My son Joey played outside linebacker and hit like a madman.  He also played fullback and while he didn't run the ball much....he did an outstanding job on his lead blocks and his pass blocking which enable the QB to get off some great passes.  We lost 32-7...oh well.

Next weekend will be here before you know, though not soon enough for me.  Man I love youth football, and especially watching my boys play...what a great thing for a Father to have.!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve,

    Thanks for the emails. It is great to touch base with another person who is passionate about football, family, and new experiences. I just met Coach Contreras for the first time this past summer. Our families had a short, but nice visit together in Stockholm, Sweden during one of our summer breaks this past season. It was fun to swap stories about the adventures of coaching in Europe. George has really inspired me in a number of ways in the short time I have known him. That was interesting to read that you once coached in Germany and you hope to go back after you retire. That will be a great opportunity for you and definitely something to really look forward to. I am feeling some of the same emotions and pride as you as my son is now involved in youth football too. He was always right beside me at the practices/games in Finland and he seems to really be taking to the game the same way that I did as a kid. I just arrived back in the states a few days ago after we lost in the league championship. We had a few too many mistakes, dropped td passes, interceptions, etc... in the second half to get the victory. It was very disappointing, but I am also proud of the guys and everything they gave out there on the field all season. Well, I appreciate the comments on my blog/pictures and I have registered to keep up with your blog. Once again, it is nice to finally touch base with you and look forward to talking more in the future.

    Regards,

    Eric

    ReplyDelete